For me, tier lists make most sense within an affiliation, so I’m going to produce a series of tier lists, one for each affiliation. First up: Avengers.
Definition of tiers
It’s worth making clear what the tiers I’ll be using mean.
- S Tier – This character will make nearly all rosters for the affiliation.
- A Tier – A character you will always consider, and bring most of the time.
- B Tier – there are some good reasons to bring this character, but they may get left out.
- C Tier – this character fits a niche, but you need to have a plan to include them. C tier does not mean they are bad, but they need to be included for a specific, narrow, plan.
- D Tier – you are very unlikely to take this character.
- Captain America – a no brainier. You need him for the excellent leadership ability.
- Thor – such a strong piece, and super powers made cheaper really turns him up a notch, going at full whack from turn one.
- Black Panther – mobile, durable, good offensive options and control elements: wow. The power discount feels great on Pounce and Mantle of the Black Panther. He does so many things he’s close to an auto include on the roster.
- Vision – a consideration for S Tier. Such a cheap throw, and the discount on Rapid Phase makes him work really well.
- Iron Man – Durable, but the main consideration is being a three threat Avenger. He makes team construction maths so much easier. Fills a role as a defensive Secure sitter.
- Black Widow – A great two threat Avenger who can go wide and grab extracts.
- Hulk – Hulk is hard to place, but with his Gamma Launch he brings a huge range of tactical options. Ultimately, if you are playing Avengers, having access to the BDT team is something you probably want.
- Groot – healing 3 damage for one power is great. Plays in to an durable long game build for Avvengers.
- Venom – the threat of So Many Snacks for one power makes him a real menace. Again, he can play in to a long game durable game plan that Avengers are great at.
- Shuri – lacking any specific synergy with Avengers, but her abilities and rerolls are welcome anywhere. This is probably her weakest affiliation, but she’s still a great support piece.
- Loki – loves the discount on his reactive super powers, and he plays really well in an Avengers mirror match.
- Valkyrie – cheap, high damage potential and a throw. Warrior of Legend for one power is just ridiculous.
- Baron Zemo – Avengers tend not to have much in the way of rerolls and Zemo loves being able to charge in round one.
- Killmonger – having Cap to protect him on the way up, and make a charge cheaper does make him better. Usurp the Throne can tip a slow scoring game heavily in your favour, which makes him applicable in a wide range of crises.
- Winter Soldier – I think ‘Till the End of the Line is a something that can answer some lists that pose a questions around throws/pushes.
- Captain Marvel – she is a great character, but comparisons with Vision make her sad. She absolutely can work well, but she needs slow scenarios as she take a a while to come online in Avengers. Have a plan for her and she’ll do really well, but she isn’t as plug and play as other options.
- Okoye – bodyguard for one is great, but why do you need two bodyguards? Maybe you’ve got a plan for her. Hence C tier.
- Rocket – maybe what you need is a cheap ranged character. He’s your raccoon. But probably not.
- Red Skull – Master of the Cosmic Cube might feed in to a bigger plan, and getting it for 2 is pretty great.
- M.O.D.O.K. – discounts on advancing the opponents and throws. You could argue for B tier, but the kind of damage dealing M.O.D.O.K. brings doesn’t line up with my plans when I’m in Avengers, and he’s competing with in-affiliation Thor.
- Spider-Man – Web Line for one and Web-a-pult for two are great, but he is competing for those unaffiliated slots, and often comes up short in that comparison. But with a plan, his L move and turn one Web Line can be great.
- Doctor Octopus – if you are making a throw heavy list, he’s a second three threat thrower after Valkyrie. Reducing the throw cost to two is good on him
- Star Lord – Competing with Iron Man or Vision/Captain Marvel, and they have better synergies and affiliation.
- Crossbones – if Cap’s leadership reduced his Inured to Pain he’d be way higher.
- Ultron – you have access to better fliers, better blasters and better reactive powers.
- Hela – durability counts in her favour, but there are other durable characters that synergise better.